Seeking the best orthodontic care for you or your child may feel overwhelming. You may be wondering, “how do I choose the best orthodontist near me? Do I need a referral from my dentist to see an orthodontist? And what should I consider when researching the best orthodontic care?” After all, not all orthodontic practices are created equal. And you want to make sure your smile is in good hands! To guide you in this decision, the following is helpful information so you can choose the best orthodontic care for your needs.
Do I Need a Dentist Referral for an Orthodontist?
This question is common, and patients often wonder if they need a dentist referral to visit an orthodontist. The short answer is no – you can make an appointment with an orthodontist at any time! And you also can schedule consultations with multiple offices. It’s important to do your research to choose the best orthodontist for you rather than only going with one your dentist refers you to. And if you think you or your child could benefit from orthodontic treatment, it’s best not to wait. The American Association of Orthodontists recommends getting evaluated by age 7, but orthodontic treatment benefits patients of all ages.
5 Considerations When Choosing the Best Orthodontic Care
If you or your child are ready for braces, it’s time to set up consultations with nearby orthodontic practices. We’ve compiled the top questions to ask to help you find the right practice. Below are also the top five things to look for in an orthodontic practice:
- A Focus on You – You want an orthodontic care team who understands your situation and delivers the best treatment plan to meet your needs. They should take the time to review your options, what to expect, and answer any questions you have.
- Highly Qualified, Professional Care Team – Get to know who will be providing your treatment. You should feel comfortable asking where the doctor went to dental or orthodontic school. In addition, find out if a general dentist is onsite to oversee your treatment and monitor your general oral health. Many orthodontic offices have assistants perform the majority of the in-the-mouth adjustments, so get to know them as well. By asking good questions, you will be able to tell if the care team is friendly and professional. This kind of atmosphere is vital to make you feel comfortable and well cared for.
- Latest, Most Advanced Technology – Ask whether the office is equipped with the latest digital imaging technology. Do they provide a range of effective orthodontic treatment options including aligners, metal and ceramic braces, and lingual braces? Leading-edge technology can lead to faster treatment times and appointments.
- Convenience – Finding an orthodontic center with convenient hours and locations is a must. After all, why should you miss work or your child miss school? Sometimes an office visit is not necessary, and you can check in virtually. Find out if the orthodontist is able to see you for virtual appointments.
- Affordable Payment Options – Find an orthodontic provider who will work with you to make braces affordable. Many orthodontists accept most major insurance plans, so make sure to understand coverage, the full cost of treatment, and any fees. They should also offer a payment schedule that works within your budget.
Get a Second or Third Opinion
You want to make sure you are comfortable with the orthodontic practice you choose, so it can benefit you to speak with multiple offices and choose the best doctor for you. Most of the time, initial consultations are complimentary. During the consultation, your medical and dental history is reviewed, and your orthodontic needs are assessed. You’ll have the opportunity to receive as much information as possible about your treatment goals and options.
How to Choose a Great Doctor
Why is it so important to choose the best orthodontic care? You’ll get a great patient experience and a beautiful, confident smile that you can enjoy for years to come. At ALTA SMILES locations, we pride ourselves on providing outstanding care and a personalized treatment approach. To see why we are raising orthodontic and dental care to a higher level, schedule a complimentary consultation today!